It’s been ages since I got out the waffle iron. I seriously think it’s been well over a year maybe? Possibly not quite that long. I tried making some mashed potato waffles a little while back, and I must not have oiled the plates well-enough or used enough potato because I didn’t get crispy potato waffles–I got a mess that I had to scrape into the trash. Thankfully, though, I didn’t encounter any such problems with these Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries.
Did you know that June 29th is National Waffle Iron Day? I had no idea–I’m usually a day late when it comes to celebrating food holidays! But Sunday Supper is celebrating that holiday with all sorts of waffles, from sweet, to savory, to breakfast, to dinner, and everything in between!
These are SO good. The Irish Cream in the waffles gives them an almost caramel flavor, but it’s not over-powering or anything. Jay and the bambino ate them as regular waffles with butter and maple syrup, and loved them. I ate mine as a dessert waffle, and I loved it.
So you can easily make these for a leisurely weekend breakfast, or have them as decadent dessert waffles. The Whiskey Strawberries are also not overpowering.
- 2 C strawberries, washed, hulled & sliced
- 2 Tbsp Irish whiskey
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1¾ C flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 C Irish Cream
- ¾ C whole milk
- ½ C cooking oil (vegetable, canola, extra-light olive)
- Cooking spray
- Whipped heavy cream
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the strawberries, whiskey, and sugar. Toss to combine, then set aside while you make the waffle batter, to allow the berries to release their juices and the flavors to meld.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, Irish Cream, milk, and cooking oil. Pour into the dry ingredients, and mix just until combined (the batter will be lumpy).
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form (the peaks will stand straight up without falling over when the beaters are lifted). Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter, being careful not to overmix.
- Heat the waffle iron per the manufacturer's directions. Spray the plates with cooking spray, and add 1 cup of batter. Close and cook according to manufacturer's directions. Remove, and repeat with remaining batter.
- Top warm waffle with ½ C of strawberries, and ¼ C of whipped cream, if using.
Sue from A Palatable Pastime is hosting this tasty event. If dessert waffles aren’t your thing, there’s loads more that are featured this week:
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement