Sometimes, simple is best. Jay is fond of saying “Tis a gift to be simple.” Which, I guess is true. Sometimes the easy, simple dishes taste the best. This week’s Sunday Supper theme is “Eggtastic Recipes,” and I chose the quick, easy, simple meal of Baked Eggs in Cream.
Baked eggs are also known as “shirred” eggs (“shirred” refers to the dish in which they were traditionally baked). The original dish was likely a type of gratin dish, but nowadays, ramekins are mainly used.
The first time I made these, it was one of those evenings where we didn’t have any meat thawed, and we had some tomatoes to use or lose. Jay and I both enjoyed the dish…The bambino was less than impressed.
It’s easy enough to make a meal out of these. Crusty bread and a salad rounds it out nicely. It’s one of those meals that I’m perfectly content with, but I know Jay would prefer to have some sort of meat on the side.
- 4 Tbsp. butter, plus extra for greasing ramekins
- 1 C diced tomatoes
- ¼ C finely chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ C heavy cream
- ¼ C grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 4 4-oz. ramekins.
- Place ¼ C of tomatoes in each ramekin. Season with salt and pepper. Evenly divide the parsley between the ramekins.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and divide among the ramekins. Place one egg in each. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp. of cream on top of each egg. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the whites are opaque and the yolks have soft centers with firm edges. Top each with 1 Tbsp. of Parmesan immediately after removing from the oven.
Many thanks to Wendy for hosting this week. Check out the rest of the great recipes featured:
Appetizers & Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
Main Dishes (Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Brinner and Dinner!)
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.