I’ve had this urge to make my own homemade pita bread for awhile. I want to try homemade tortillas one of these days, but I don’t have a tortilla press, and I’m not sure I can roll them out thin enough. So instead, I thought I’d give pita bread a chance.
And I made buffalo chicken to go inside, because I have a slight addiction to chicken slathered in hot wing sauce.
Buffalo Chicken Pita Pockets.
So very very good. A little twist on the usual meal from Buffalo Wild Wings. I really need to break my addiction to that place. We’re there at least once a week, sometimes multiple times a week, and it really needs to stop. So I thought I’d give making a restaurant-type meal at home a try. The one thing I really enjoy about eating out, though is the lack of cooking and cleaning on my part, since I’m the primary cook in the house. Even still, this worked out beautifully. I used a bottle of their Medium Wing Sauce, which we’d gotten in exchange for completing a survey or something.
And the Buffalo Chicken Pita Pockets satisfy my cravings for all things buffalo chicken, cheesy and bread/carbs.
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-ounce bottle of buffalo wing sauce
- cooking spray
- 1 8-ounce block of cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 2 C shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 6-8 pitas, cut in half
- Coat the inside of a crock pot with cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts inside, then cover with the buffalo sauce. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- minutes before you're ready to serve/eat, take the chicken out of the crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Add the chicken back to the sauce and stir in the butter and cream cheese. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to incorporate the cream cheese into the mixture. At this point, you can also add the shredded mozzarella, or you can top the pitas with it.
- Fill each pita half with the shredded chicken mixture and top with about ¼ C of mozzarella, if you didn't add it already.
As usual, when anything with buffalo sauce and/or cheese and/or bread is involved, I ate WAY too much. Ugh. But it was worth it.
I had some medical chaos earlier in the week. First I was supposed to go on medication for my thyroid. Then I was not to go on it. Then, I was to go on it. Which I have been taking for the past 3 days. I’ll have more blood tests done in 6 weeks to see how things are going. If nothing else, I hope it helps bring my energy levels back up, and I’m not so tired all the time.