I love Nutella. And cheesecake (I’m just okay with pumpkin…There’s not a “love” there, unless it’s for roasted pumpkin seeds). And I love the internets. I do. I love the wealth of information instantly accessible to me. I could (and do) spend hours looking up whatever strikes my fancy…And when I (literally) stumble upon a gem of a recipe, I am happy.
And what I mean by that is the other day, while pimping out one of my own blog posts on StumbleUpon, I decided to go exploring. One of the categories I have listed is for food/cooking websites, so they presented me with this gem…More specifically this recipe. It’s one of those concoctions that made my jaw drop, my stomach rumble while my brain immediately said “How soon till I go grocery shopping again and can purchase the necessary ingredients to make this?!” Not to mention, Tyler, the blogger behind said concoction seems like someone I’d’ve hung out with (or tried to be friends with) in college. Someone who creates a food-blog-comic-book-Indiana-Jones-mash-up involving muffins and bacon seems like a pretty cool guy.
And, over-achiever that I am, I decided to tweak things a bit, and make my own graham cracker crust, using my springform pan. Now that I’m no longer intimidated by it, I look for reasons to use it!
It’s overcharged-autumn in a dessert. Pumpkin, chocolatey, cheesecake Nutella awesomeness (I know, it’s not really a word, but still). Perfect with a cup of coffee. I would love to make this again when my mom comes to visit next month, but I already promised her New York Style Cheesecake. That, and I don’t think she’s as keen on pumpkin (plus she has this weird allergy to chocolate now that developed a few years ago…My grandfather also developed a late-in-life allergy to it, and I will curse the gods if it’s passed on to me.).
- 1½ C graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ C butter, melted (5½ Tbsp.)
- ¾ C sugar, divided
- 2 8oz. packages of Neufchâtel cheese (low-fat cream cheese), room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ C pumpkin puree
- ½-3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ⅓ C Nutella
- Stir together the butter with the graham cracker crumbs & ¼ C sugar. Mix until well-blended. Press mixture along bottom & sides of a 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Freeze until firm, while mixing filling, or for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Spread about 1 C of the filling on top of the crust. Return to the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to the remaining cheesecake batter and mix until smooth. Pour over top of the first layer.
- Top the cheesecake with the Nutella, and using a small knife, swirl through the pumpkin layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing sides of springform pan and serving.
And don’t you worry, Abby…I’ve saved a piece for you!