- 8 large eggs
- 1 C diced frozen potatoes
- 4 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 C diced ham or 5-6 slices Canadian bacon, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 C cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, colby-jack, Monterey Jack)-Optional
1. Preheat broiler. In a 10-inch heatproof skillet (nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron works best), heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil, the add potatoes to cook, about 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, salt & pepper, and diced ham or Canadian bacon. Once the potatoes are cooked, add in the 2 remaining Tbsp. of oil, coating the pan a bit (you can remove the potatoes from the skillet for this step if you’d like, but it’s not necessary). Add in the egg mixture, and cook, allowing the bottom & sides to set up.
2. Once the frittata is almost cooked through (the top should still look shiny & a bit wet), top with the cheese (if using), and pop under the broiler until cheese is melted & top is browned.* Remove from pan, and slice into 6 or 8 pieces.
*Alternately, you can use a large dinner plate to flip the frittata over & return to the skillet to cook the other side, then top with cheese & finish cooking until the cheese melts.