“Living after midnight, rockin’ to the dawn…”

There are days when I love my old home…It’s an old farmhouse that was built in the early 1900’s, and nothing against anyone who’s got a new home, but I’d love to come back in another 100 years and see whose house is/is not still standing. However, there are perils to living in an older home. Lots of stuff needs updating (and it seems that everything that needs to be updated has to be done all at the same time)…And you have the potential for creatures to invade your home…Like one decided to do yesterday.

Yes, we had another That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named hanging out…Of course, this time, it decided to show itself AFTER Jay had gone into work, flying right by my face (I was about 2 feet away from it but that’s still closer than I’d ever like to be) as I was entering the dining room, ready to go get the bambino up. The proper reaction to this surprise visitor? Scream like the coward you are, run upstairs, being ever so grateful for the fact that you have a door to shut off your upper level from your lower, and burst into tears about the fact that not only do you have to figure out a way to get yourself back downstairs and out of the house, you have to keep it together to avoid freaking out your child.

So, after a couple minutes of panicking, I got the bambino ready, minus hair brushing and teeth brushing, explained to him what we were going to do, and headed downstairs. I stuck my head out of the doorway, making sure IT was not flying around, located my shoes, purse, keys, and the bambino’s shoes. I told him that while I was gathering the stuff, he should make his way to the front door. We did so, and fled the house, because again, I’m a big chicken-shit.

We had to go to Barf-Mart to get travel toothbrushes and toothpaste, and we hit up McDonald’s for some breakfast, then we drove to the bank to eat and brush teeth. I dropped the bambino off at daycare, then went back to work. I offered my boss $50 to do his catch & release thing, but he didn’t go for it–He just laughed at me. Thankfully, Jay came to take care of it, after I sent him an email telling him I didn’t care if it was hanging out, having a party or taking control of the house, I wasn’t going back in there until it was gone. And the more I think about it, the more freaked out I get–It was probably flying around all evening while we slept, doing whatever, even while Jay was still here, and I was in the shower. Why it had to wait until I was alone, I do not know. As a result, this was my dinner last night:

Because Jay had to go back into work last night, the bambino got a breakfast burrito (well, scrambled eggs and cheese rolled up in a tortilla), and other than a S’More, I didn’t really want to eat much. That, and I was busy enough at work, I went to lunch late, so I wasn’t that hungry to begin with.

Tonight, though, I actually cooked:

Lemon Thyme Chicken. I apologize for the lumps in my sauce…I thought I’d be fine using a wooden spoon when deglazing my pan, when I should’ve gotten out a whisk. Oh well. It was still pretty tasty. I do think it was a little heavier on the thyme than I’d like…Next time I make it, I’ll cut it back to 1/4 teaspoon, rather than 1/2. I did like the lemon flavoring in the sauce/gravy, though. With some rice and green beans, it made a nice dinner, and it’ll be just as good tomorrow when I have it for lunch!

Sharing is caring!

2 Replies to ““Living after midnight, rockin’ to the dawn…””

  1. Pingback: Monday: A Tale of Pancakes and Sausage | Tramplingrose

  2. Pingback: Bourbon Pumpkin Blondies – Trampling Rose

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.