Rachel and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

Yesterday was one of those days where the slightest thing could’ve pushed me over the edge. One of those days that had me crying at my desk off and on, and wishing for White Russians at the end of the day. It started off at about 20 till 3 in the morning…When I awoke with a start to a sound that now sends chills down my spine and causes a massive knot in my stomach. Yes, it was one of Them (no, I won’t name them, but if you’ve read this blog long enough, you know that I’ve developed a fear of certain things that fly and are nocturnal. I trust you’re all smart enough to figure it out, but if you need a hint, their name rhymes with “rat.”). I was afraid one was in our bedroom, but Jay assured me it was just in the attic space–The access panel being right outside our bedroom door. Still, I was fearful enough that I couldn’t fall back asleep right away, and the slightest sound would startle me.

And it didn’t help matters that Jay’s had to work early all this week…Just like the last time…when I had one fly about a foot away from my face. UGH! I still shudder whenever I think of that one, and I don’t even like to talk about it. I know it makes me a big chicken, and I don’t care.

But I was skittish enough and paranoid enough that morning that I cried after Jay left for work. I calmed down once I got the bambino up and we had a decent amount of time before we had to head out the door. I packed a lunch and even managed to get started on breakfast. I zapped some water in the microwave for some oatmeal–And when I opened the microwave door, the water exploded. I jumped back far enough that I have the equivalent of a sunburn on my right hand, and I had a mess to clean up, but otherwise, I wasn’t hurt.

Still, it made for a truly crappy start to the day. And work was a little nutty…There were a lot of people gone, and it being the end of the year, there’s lots to get done before 5 o’clock on Monday. And after Jay and the bambino picked me up, we decided to tackle the grocery store. On a Friday night. Which, for once, wasn’t too bad, to tell the truth. That was one good thing about the day. The other good thing came in an email from the King Arthur Flour Company. It was a recipe for chicken noodle soup that sounded like the perfect end to an otherwise crap day. But I got lazy, and after Jay told me he ended up with some subs, we had those for dinner instead.

So I decided to make the soup today, instead.


It was perfect, like a warm hug (yes, that’s cheesy, I know, but I needed some serious comfort after the past 24 hours!). And even though it warmed up a bit, it was still good on a chilly winter afternoon.

Yield: 6

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes


  • 6 1/2 cups chicken broth + 2 Tbsp
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 C whole milk
  • 2 C whole-wheat egg noodles, uncooked
  • 1/3 C all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 C water
  • 1 12 1/2 oz. can chicken
  • salt and pepper to taste


In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp of the broth with the butter. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid to about 1/4 cup. The mixture will be syrupy. Whisk in the whole milk, and set aside.

In a large saucepan, bring the remaining broth to a boil. Add the noodles and cook till tender, according to package directions.

Whisk the flour and water together until smooth, and stir into the noodle mixture.

Allow the soup to boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in the milk mixture and chicken, and heat through.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Did you make this recipe?

Tag it on Instagram using #tramplingroserecipes

I don’t know what it is about chicken noodle soup, but it really is a great big hug in a bowl, and it was just what I needed to slough off all the bad feelings from yesterday!

And there are plenty of leftovers for me to have lunch next week, too. I’m trying to decide if today I want to get started with the laundry or just veg for the rest of the day. I think vegging will win…I started on a new book yesterday, so I might just settle down with that!

Sharing is caring!

7 Replies to “Rachel and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day”

  1. You’re right. That was one hell of a day. Good thing it’s over. (That’s the one great thing about bad days — they end.) The chicken soup looks divine. Does it go well with White Russians? ;-) Take care of yourself!

    • Yes, thank the heavens yesterday is done. Today was awesome…A friend of my husband’s came over and spent the whole day helping him critter-proof the house, and because I wasn’t sure what might’ve been lurking in the attic, my little boy & I spent the bulk of the day running some errands. Now I’ve got my pajamas on, and I’m indeed going to settle down with my book! I never did get my White Russian though…! :D

  2. Awe, I can feel you pain. No bats around here but we get squirrels in the attic and racoons in the yard overturning the garbage cans and making a mess on the porch. The way you feel about bats, though, is how I feel about mice. If we suspect there’s one in the house, I can’t rest unless Brian is there to “protect” me. He, of course, is not the least bit afraid. Men! ;)

    • No bats, you say? I might need to move! :) We also have some snakes that like to camp out under our front porch during the summer–Oddly enough, I don’t mind them at all.

  3. Pingback: Pasta Filetto Di Pomodoro | TramplingroseTramplingrose

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.