Mother’s Day is coming soon, and while I don’t expect much, I ask for the same thing each year–to be taken out for a meal. Last year, I got breakfast. This year, I don’t know what Jay and the bambino have planned, but as long as it doesn’t involve me cooking my own meal at some point, I’m happy. I do wish I could see my mom for Mother’s Day, but instead, I’ll celebrate her by making her favorite dish–Super Supper.
Super Supper is a dish that my uncle found the recipe for in a newspaper back in the late 60’s, and asked my grandma Myra to make it. She did, and it apparently went over well enough with him, my mom and the rest of their siblings that it stayed in rotation. My mom also made it, and as a toddler, I scarfed it up…Until one day when I watched my mom make it, and saw her throw green peppers into the dish. After that, I refused to eat it, and I can’t really remember ever having it as a child.
Funny how times and tastes change, eh? But I can totally see the bambino reacting the same way–Green peppers?! Yuck!
It’s not the most appealing-looking dish, but it is tasty. And though it’s April and Spring should be in full swing, just last week we got a blast of snow. It’s been grey, dull, and rainy all week. So a comfort-food casserole is nice on a cloudy, cool day. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Season the ground beef with the onion powder and cook with the green pepper in a large skillet. Drain excess grease and add corn and tomato sauce.
In a large casserole dish, mix sour cream and water. Spread potatoes over mixture. Cover with ground beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
This week, the Sunday Supper group is focusing on Mom’s Favorite Recipes, whether they’re her favorite recipe or one she made throughout the years. Christie and Wendy are this weeks’ co-hosts, so check out their mom-celebratory recipes, then check out the rest of the group:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Season the ground beef with the onion powder and cook with the green pepper in a large skillet. Drain excess grease and add corn and tomato sauce.
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.