French Silk Pie is a rich chocolate mousse piled into flaky pastry, and topped with sweetened whipped cream. A delicious treat for a special occasion or any occasion!
I don’t remember the first time I had French Silk Pie. It’s a staple of restaurants and cafes, so I’m sure it was at a Perkins or somewhere else that I first tried it somewhere like that when I was a kid. Chocolate being my favorite form of anything when I was younger, I no doubt loved the rich filling and the piles of whipped cream that typically top such creations.
For as much as I love this pie, these days I usually only have it when my mother-in-law buys one and serves it for Sunday dinner dessert. I never really thought about making my own, until Sue from Palatable Pastime created this Baking Bloggers group, and invited me to join. And as the first topic was pies, I opted to try my hand at making a French Silk Pie.
When it comes to pie making, I like to make my own crust, even though I am HORRIBLE at fluting. I don’t know what it is – The very first time I made my own crust, I did okay (and that was out of sheer desperation – It was Thanksgiving, and I was making pumpkin pie from scratch the night before, and didn’t want to leave to run up to the store, as I’d already ruined two refrigerated crusts!). But it’s like every pie since then, I regress, and can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing.
The filling always (knock on wood!) seems to work out, though!
Please check out the other pies from all the talented bakers sharing recipes today:
- Applesauce Pie by Making Miracles
- Blackberry Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Concord Grape Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cranberry Apple Pie by House of Nash Eats
- Dairy-free Raspberry Jam Crostata by Manu’s Menu
- French Silk Pie by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Pear-Apple Crumble Pie by Cookaholic Wife
- Pear Frangipane Tart with Cranberries by Caroline’s Cooking /
- Seafood B’stilla (Moroccan Seafood Pie) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stuffed Plum Tomato Tart by Food Lust People Love