Chocolate and hazelnuts go together like cinnamon and sugar or salt and pepper. Complimentary flavors come together in this Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake and make a decadent dessert. Rich chocolate hazelnut cheesecake is surrounded by a chocolate graham crust and topped with a chocolate hazelnut ganache.
It’s been a long time since I’ve made a cheesecake. The last one I made was my Easy Classic Cheesecake, and that post is from 2015! I know I’ve made cheesecake-like desserts since then, but for the most part, it’s a dessert that I love to eat, but don’t make myself. And I don’t know why. They’re no more complicated that cakes or cupcakes.
So when this month’s Baking Bloggers challenge was announced, I thought my participation was necessary. I do enjoy a traditional/classic cheesecake, but every so often, I also enjoy rich, decadent, over-the-top cheesecakes. The sort of cheesecakes you get in restaurants, though it’s been years since I’ve set foot in a Cheesecake Factory – Not surprisingly, the closest locations to me are in Omaha, or the Twin Cities. Which is fine. I can make my own over-the-top cheesecake right here at home.
This cheesecake is pretty over the top, if I do say so myself. It’s rich enough on its own, but the ganache adds enough richness to make your teeth hurt. In a good way, of course. Check out the rest of the cheesecakes made for this month’s theme:
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: A Literal Cake of Cheese and Handmade Crackers
- Sneha’s Recipe: Baked New York Style Cheesecake
- Trampling Rose: Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
- Tara’s Multicultural Table: Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
- Karen’s Kitchen: Classic New York Cheesecake
- Cookaholic Wife: Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Individual Cheesecakes for 2
- Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking: Savory Salmon Cheesecake
- Palatable Pastime: Sugar Cookie Cheesecake
- The Redhead Baker: Tiramisu Cheesecake
For the Crust:
- 9-10 chocolate graham crackers
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter
For the Cheesecake:
- 32 oz. (4 packages) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Frangelico or vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 C chocolate-hazelnut spread
For the Topping:
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1 oz. Frangelico
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt the butter. Place the graham crackers in a plastic zip-top bag, close, and with a mallet or rolling pin, pound into fine crumbs. stir together with the butter and 1/4 C sugar. Press mixture along bottom & sides of a greased 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Freeze until firm.
Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Combine the cream cheese, 1 C sugar, Frangelico, and corn starch. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the eggs and blend on high speed until fluffy. Fold in the chocolate-hazelnut spread, being careful not to over-mix. Pour into the prepared crust. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F and continue baking for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave for several hours untouched (at least 4 hours, or overnight). Place cake in refrigerator to cool.
Once cooled, make the ganache. Place the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Combine the cream and Frangelico in a small saucepan, and heat over medium-low just until the cream is hot and begins to simmer. Pour over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir to combine and allow to cool. The ganache will thicken as it stands. Spread over the cooled cheesecake.