- 2 C flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room-temperature
- 1/4 C minced scallions
- 1 1/4 C heavy cream, plus extra for brushing the tops of the scones
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking, powder, salt, dry mustard & pepper. Add the cheese and butter, cutting the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the scallions and cream, mixing just until the dough forms a bowl.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a lightly-floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut as many scones as possible. Press together or re-roll the scraps to cut additional scones. Place the scones on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with cream, and bake 15-17 minutes, or until light golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack, or serve warm.