Combine two pub grub favorites into one, add cheddar, and grill, for a great gourmet grilled cheese sandwich!
You may be asking yourself, “What’s a chip butty?” It’s a delicious sandwich composed of buttered bread, ketchup or “brown sauce” (HP Sauce), and “chips,” or French fries. I’d never heard of them before, but came upon them a few years ago. A blog I sometimes read had featured them, and I started drooling almost immediately. I made my own version of them, and every once in awhile, I get a craving for them.
I also get cravings for Bacon Buttys, also known as Bacon Rolls or Bacon Sarnies. Same principle as the Chip Butty, except you substitute bacon for the chips. And in the case of Bacon Rolls, they’re served on rolls or buns, rather than two slices of bread. I’ve actually been eating those since I was a kid – Whenever my mom would make BLTs, my sister and I would have bacon sandwiches with butter, because ew, vegetables. Now, I would not turn down a BLT, unless of course, it came slathered in mayo. Because ew, mayo.
As Sunday Supper this week is celebrating April being Grilled Cheese Month, I decided to combine the two, add some cheese, and voila! The Bacon Cheddar Chip Butty was born.
The bambino said he would’ve preferred his sandwich with the chips on the side, but Jay really liked it, as did I. A bit of brown sauce on the side for dipping, and it was perfect!
Christine from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures is this week’s hostess for all the wonderful gourmet grilled cheeses. Check out what the rest of the Sunday Supper group has come up with:
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Not You Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.